Dec 6, 2011

Christmas Sugar Cookies

I thought I would share this sugar cookie recipe that my mom used to make every Christmas when I was a kid.  It was at the top of the list as a favorite.  Right up there with the chocolate covered mints and chocolate covered pb balls...oh and the fudge.  Can't forget the fudge!  Russian tea cakes were waaaay down at the bottom of the list.  I think those were the last to get eaten.  I'm still stumped as to why she always made those.  Huh.  Yep, still stumped. 
Anyways, back to the sugar cookies.

1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 cup butter, softened
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. almond extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cream of tartar

Mix sugar, butter, egg, vanilla and almond extract.  Then mix in flour, baking soda, and cream of tartar.  Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours.  Heat oven to 375.  Divide dough into halves.  Roll each half 3/16 inch think on lightly floured surface. (ok, 3/16?  I just rolled it out as thick or as thin as I wanted).  Then just cookie cutter those suckers up, slap 'em on the baking stone and bake for about 6-7 minutes.  A cooling rack is a must because this will make more than one batch. 

Warning: Things can get a little out of control if little ones are allowed to help.  It's memory making though.  :)

Tip: I allow my kids to taste-test the dough.  It makes it more fun.  Yes, it has a raw egg in it.  And in all of my 31 years of eating raw dough I have never ever gotten sick from raw eggs.  So there. 

It also helps to have a studly helper in a white t-shirt to make sure the cookies don't burn! 

Frosting pictures and recipe to come tomorrow....

No comments:

Post a Comment