Aug 27, 2011

Homeschooling (how creative is that title?)

Phew!  It's been a busy week.  You know I've been busy if I haven't blogged in 5 days. :) 

We have taken a more laid back approach to our schooling this year.  Actually, I've just decided that this week.  Yeah, I tend to be kind of last minute like that sometimes.   I guess adding "school" time with Cody has made me realize this.  Not that I have to do a lot with him at just 4 years of age but I can tell that he is much more ready for "learning" than he was last year.  

My plan for him this year is to read a lot of books.  Simple, I know, but so so beneficial.  I picked up the story of Peter Pan this week just because I happened to notice it on their bookshelf.  It's actually Emma's book but I thought that he might just be interested with it being about Pirates and a boy who is adventurous and flys through the air and everything.  It's bigger than any book I've read to him before so I wasn't sure if it would keep his attention.  I was pleasantly surprised however when not only did he like it, but he kept wanting to read more and more!  So now I need some new ideas of what to read to him when we're done with that one! 

Something else surprised me this week about Cody.  On Tuesday during my CC review with them both  I was completely taken by surprise by what he DID actually remember!  I got so excited with him and for him! 

Besides working on letters, numbers, shapes, etc., that's really all I have planned for him this year.  Pretty laid back I think.  I've learned that little boys need lots of playtime and I'm still studying Cody to see where his strengths and weaknesses lie. 

As part of Cody's "preschool" I decided to pull out our box of blocks.  Pretty simple right?  Well, I was amazed at how focused he became at building.  At first I thought it would be good for all of us to sit down together and build and that went pretty well, but even after I was done playing and Emma and Beau had moved on to other things Cody was still there building "house" after "house". 




Another thing I discovered about Cody?  The boy needs more positive encouragement and praise.  He's a rambunctious little stinker sometimes who gets more than his share of scoldings and discipline but I noticed that the more I praised him for his "buildings" and his memory work, and just anything that I saw him do well this week that he just soaked it up.  It was GOOD for him.  I loved seeing that. 


Wednesday was a middle of the week break from school work with a trip to the pool to swim.  The rest of the week was spent reading, doing a little math with Emma, and working on presentations for CC and reviews.  That's it.  And lots of play.  And reading.  I love reading to them.  It's by far my favorite part of homeschooling. 


Well, I had intended to write about Emma and Beau too but I think I'll save that for another time or else this post is going to get too long. :)


Oh and one more thing I was surprised by this week?  Just how much I enjoyed my children.  I'm not kidding.  I truly enjoyed spending the quality time with them.  I know there will be hard days.  I can't really escape those days but I really want this to be a great year and so far I think we are off to a great start. 


My advice to ME this year
  1. Don't overdo it.
  2. Be patient on those uncooperative days.
  3. Give lots of praise and encouragement.
  4. Be flexible.
  5. Have fun with it!  Learning should be fun.
  6. Read
  7. Read
  8. Read some more. 
  9. Play ouside alot.
  10. And read a little more. 


No comments:

Post a Comment